Tuesday 17 February 2009

Six minute workout

If you're short of time for exercise and want something effective in as short a time as possible, try this. I devised this quick workout based on an article I read in the Daily Telegraph in which a research study showed that short 30 second bursts of activity can increase BMR and improve insulin function by 23% with only 15minutes of exercise over 2 weeks!


Using a cross trainer/exercise bike/treadmill/running on spot:

1 min slow warm up

30sec quick burst as hard as you can (feels like longest 30sec of your life!)

30 sec slow pedalling/cycling/jogging

30 quick burst

1 min slow pedalling/cycling/jogging (you need slightly longer to recover by now)

30 sec quick burst

1 min slow pedalling/cycling/jogging

30 sec quick burst

30 sec slow pedalling/cycling/jogging - then you can collapse on the floor!


See, 6 minutes and its all over but you feel like you've ran 5km.

I think these short bursts of intensive aerobic activity are good for kumite training. I challenge you to try it - let me know how it goes.

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sue, Thanks for visiting my blog and for the nice comments you left. I have been going crazy at home so this is the first minute I get to do anything online. I like the quick burst of training you have listed. I think we can add that to my 10 minute fitness routine for a really great early morning workout :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails